Tuesday, January 20, 2009


The "God Box"

Do You Have Worry or Anxiety in Your Life?

In the past couple of years, I have found myself to be a chronic worrier. I worry about the past and mistakes I have made, financial worries, the safety of my children, the list could continue on. I have my devotion and prayer time early each morning. When I pray, I talk with the Lord about things going on in my life but I seem to still worry and that is just not good. I have got to stop this! The Lord is so much bigger than my menial little problem and he has it under control.
Then one day I was reading a Christian Self Help Book and she spoke of the same problem. She went on to tell of how she approached this problem with a tool called the “God Box”. The “God Box” was a dressed up shoe box to be used whenever she was worrying or nervous about something. If she thought about something more than three times in one day she would write this “issue” on an index card with a date, pray about it, and then place it in the box. She physically had to place it in the box and by physically doing this it seemed to help her release it. Then at the end of the year she placed all of the prayer requests in her journal and also placed the result by the request.
I now have a “God Box” that sits on my hutch in my kitchen. When something keeps pressing on my mind I have been going through this process and it seems to be helping me to let it go! My daughter is nine years old and she has been using the “God Box”. This box does not represent the Lord in my eyes; it just helps me to try and leave it at the altar.

Contribution by: Trudy Lilly

________________________

God's Boxes

I have in my hands two boxes
Which God gave me to hold.
He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black box,
And all your joys in the gold."

I heeded His words, and in the two boxes
Both my joys and sorrows I stored.
But though the gold became heavier each day
The black was as light as before.

With curiosity, I opened the black,
I wanted to find out why,
And I saw, in the base of the box, a hole
Which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God, and mused,
"I wonder where my sorrows could be."
He smiled a gentle smile and said,
"My child, they're all here with me."

I asked God, why He gave me the boxes,
Why the gold, and the black with the hole?
"My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings,
The black is for you to let go."

No comments:

Post a Comment